"So persecute me for 200 years"

Just 'cause I lied, now no one believes me?
And reports that [Michael Brown's] friend Johnson had a criminal record that including lying to police has put Johnson's credibility in question.
In 2011, Johnson was arrested and accused of theft and lying to police about his first name, age and address. Johnson said Monday night he doesn't understand why some are questioning his credibility.
"I see they bring up my past, my history, but it's not like it's a long rap sheet," Johnson told Lemon. "This one incident shouldn't make me a bad person."
I wish I could find a clip of the old Garrett Morris SNL skit about Kermit Washington's complaint that the media were portraying him as though he had punched Rudy Tomjanovich right in the face.

9 comments:

Grim said...

It reminds me of John Derbyshire's commentary on the Martha Stewart prosecution.

"Not only was Martha not charged with “insider trading” (whatever THAT is supposed to be), she was not even charged with lying under oath. She was not in a court, and not under oath, when the relevant lies were told. Moral of the story: Tell **N**O**T**H**I**N**G** to a federal investigator."

Texan99 said...

That's definitely the lesson I took from both her and Scooter Libby's experience. All you need to say is "Lawyer."

Unknown said...

Grim, I tried to comment on your "Here I am, Send Me," post on blackfive, but couldn't get the comments to work. I'm an O311 Marine, and a Christian. Please contact me if there are any developments.

jccummings3@gmail.com

Grim said...

I shall. There are developments, actually, almost every day.

MikeD said...

How about this... if you don't want people questioning the value of your word, try not lying.

E Hines said...

try not lying.

Disparate Impact! I'm tellin'.

Eric Hines

MikeD said...

Disparate Impact! I'm tellin'.

Heh.

I wish I could remember where I read/heard it, but there's a great quote to the effect of "Going through life is hard enough, being stupid just makes it harder. Don't be stupid."

Greg Allman said...

Hmm. Guess he's no angel :p

Ymar Sakar said...

Moral of the story: Tell **N**O**T**H**I**N**G** to a federal investigator.

What do you think the right to remain silent was for?

Police interrogation uses tricks to get the subject to talk, then it begins. Even waterboarding is just to get people to talk, not clam up.

People who clam up and don't say anything, those are the ones hard to break.