What we do

My Holy Week reading has included that old standby, "The Screwtape Letters."  The senior tempter Screwtape explains to his feckless nephew that the "Enemy" wants men to be concerned with what they do, while the tempter should try to distract his subject with what will happen to him.

All our recent talk about insurrection brought to mind this clip from the fine movie "Matewan."  Most of the townspeople were uneasily watching an eviction, thinking about what was happening to them and their neighbors.  The sheriff thinks about what he will do.



Holy Saturday is Jailbreak Day.  The suffering of the Crucifixion is over.  Christ has descended into Hell, opened all the cell doors, and showed everyone the way out.  "Follow Me," He says.  "You know how to put one foot in front of the other."  It's about what we do, not what happens to us.

2 comments:

Grim said...

Speaking of movies that touch on this theme, there's a line in the old Arnold Schwarzenegger movie "Total Recall" on the subject. As you doubtless know, the main character has had his memory suppressed, so that he is trying to figure out who he is. A mutant he meets along that questline tells him that, in effect, it doesn't matter whether he recovers his memory: "You are what you do."

I've been trying to decide what I think about that for more than twenty years. It's not a sophisticated movie, but there's a really hard question buried in that line.

Eric Blair said...

Deeds, not words?

Anyway, as my wife and I came out of the Basilica last night from the Easter Vigil (had to leave a little early to catch the last train)

There was a beggar on the front steps who asked me for money. So I gave him the last bill from my wallet (much easier for me to get more than him, I'm sure) and said to the guy:

"Life is a bunch of choices: they put you on a path. Choose a different path."

He thanked me (I told him to thank St. Martin instead) and then he said as I took my leave:

"I'll think on what you said."

So. He understood me.

Deeds and words? But it's up to him in the end though.