- Conservatives want to smother government in its crib. Luntz believes polls are beginning to show that conservatives are less concerned about "large government, small citizens" theory than about practical measures to ensure increased accountability, so that whatever is spent on government will give demonstrable bang for the buck.
- Conservatives want to drive all illegal immigrants to the border and dump them in the desert. Polling suggests widespread Republican support for "tall fences and wide gates," and for some kind of path to citizenship for immigrants who have demonstrated good citizenship in various ways, including military service.
- Conservatives believe Wall Street can do no wrong. Liberals are confusing Wall Street with Main Street. Conservatives are more enamored of the free market than of abstract "capitalism," and would happily see some of the miscreants in the housing market scandal strung up by their thumbs (though they may disagree about who the miscreants are).
- Conservatives want to smother Social Security and Medicare in their cribs. In fact, most conservatives want to preserve them, but believe they'll collapse altogether without reform. Conservatives are also much more likely to believe that reforms based on individual choice and market competition will be broadly benign in their results.
- Conservatives don't care about inequality. Actually, conservatives differ from liberals in their beliefs about the best way to combat inequality, and are much more focused on opportunity than result.
Update: It's occurred to me that a point about asymmetry depends on showing that the same thing doesn't happen all the time in reverse. I've been hunting for some "Top 10 Stupid Things Conservatives Believe About Liberals" articles, published in conservative venues, that elicited purely conservative backlashes along the lines of: "We don't believe you espouse any such benign motives behind your revolting slogans. Our caricatures were actually quite accurate. Everyone knows the root of your insane liberal beliefs is that you're paid Communist operatives. The author of this piece is a smelly hippie." I haven't been able to find any, but maybe some of you can link to them in the comments. I did find some "Top 10 Dumb Conservative Beliefs" posts, but no comparable reader response. Mostly they were explanations that liberals don't really hate America or the troops or family values, and don't intend to encourage personal irresponsibility, etc., with reader responses that were mild or mixed. I admit that I have participated in more than one argument among conservatives that degenerated into the blanket explanation that all liberal initiatives were Alinsky-style tactics intended to destroy the country. I just haven't seen that approach adopted unanimously in the comments section of a major newspaper in response to an "olive branch" style of op-ed piece.