I believe that if America does not lead, others will—others who do not share our interests and our values—and the world will grow darker, for our friends and for us.A few more specific proposals, not that any foreign policy speech is ever very specific:
- Restore cuts to military spending; specifically, build 15 ships per year, including three submarines.
- "I will implement effective missile defenses to protect against threats. And on this, there will be no flexibility with Vladimir Putin. And I will call on our NATO allies to keep
the greatest military alliance in history strong by honoring their commitment to each devote 2 percent of their GDP to security spending. Today, only 3 of the 28 NATO nations meet this benchmark."
- Organize all assistance efforts in the greater Middle East under one official with responsibility and accountability to prioritize efforts and produce results, by stipulating conditions to aid.
- Reverse the President's four-year failure to sign any new free trade agreements.
- Support the many Syrians who would oppose Iran.
- More support for Israel.