"I do not think you can have the duck."

Do grocery stores in your area carry fresh or frozen ducks in the meat department?  None of them in my little town does any more.  I'm even striking out in the grocery stores in other towns nearby.  My store offered to special-order them for us, but when we came back to check they said only that the shipper claimed they were seasonal.  "It's seasonal" is becoming an all-purpose explanation for whatever the local stores don't feel like stocking.  Wal-Mart wouldn't reliably carry Mason jars for canning, for instance.  Seasonal in South Texas!  What a laugh.

I finally found a mail-order place that will ship the same brand of whole ducks frozen, at a price that rivals what the store used to charge even counting the freight.  Unfortunately, we still don't have our ducks.  What arrived, by mistake, was a couple of large packages of frozen duck sausage.  I'm starting to feel like Steve Martin (sorry, they won't let me embed!):  "He can have the chicken."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm told that there are a few grocery stores in Amarillo that carry duck. They are in the northern part of the city, where a large number of Asian refugees have settled over the years.

LittleRed1

Grim said...

Yes, actually, my local store sells frozen duck. I cooked one two Christmases ago.

bthun said...

Everything's ducky a couple or a few counties west of The Hall. Not to mention the geese and ducks who've taken up permanent resident at a pond behind the hovel.

Joseph W. said...

In Virginia, yes, I see them.

htom said...

Local small grocery (part of a big chain) sometimes has them, will have them the next day if I ask. Small Asian market always has them in the morning, the larger has geese and duck, fresh, frozen, and heads and feet.

Ymar Sakar said...

Let them eat cake then if they cannot have duck, is what Obama told me.

Texan99 said...

By golly, my two whole frozen ducks arrived. On top of that, the sausage was great.