I Guess Madness Runs In The Family:

My sister writes to report that she just had a wonderful run up in Wyoming..  She's training for a marathon again, and the run was 15 miles.  She says that the usual pain she's been experiencing didn't appear, just some blisters she puts down to having been wearing these at the time.
Apparently the roads were icy because of an ongoing snowstorm.  I'd say something cutting about the quality of her judgment, but honestly, I have no standing to do so.  I haven't committed this particular offense against right reason, but I have certainly committed others at least as bad.

7 comments:

BillT said...

Those cleats are quite popular with the Air Force here when (as usual) what passes for the path from the road to the sim building resembles a toboggan run more than a footpath -- we Army and former Army types merely walk along the side, where the snow provides decent traction...

Grim said...

I have some milder ones myself, with only the chains and no spikes. Still, it would never have occurred to me to run fifteen miles in them. I think I might have put that run off for a month or so.

But she's dedicated!

BillT said...

And dodging branches broken off by the weight of accumulated snow, a.k.a. "falling spears," will keep her limber...

Texan99 said...

I don't hold with freezing temperatures. They're unnatural.

Anonymous said...

I've used the "shoe chains" but never to run in. That said, several years ago while out enjoying eighteen inches of fresh "global warming," I was passed on a trail by someone jogging in mini-snoeshoes. Ah, no, thanks. If I need to run in snowshoes, I'm probably better off shucking the things, climbing a tree, and shooting whatever is hunting me!

LittleRed1

E Hines said...

I agree with T99. There are a number of reasons I'm from the Midwest; snow and cold rank high.

Eric Hines

Justthisguy said...

That is Marine-level stubbornness. I mind a woman who posted as BarmyMama who was medically ejected from the Marines for excessive fragility. Her spirit was willing (she once ran a mile or so on a fractured pelvis carrying her gear) but her flesh wasn't up to the job.