The Old Year Now Away is Fled...



A gentle version providing some of the verses:


The old year now away is fled,
The new year it is entered;
Then let us all our sins down tread,
    And joyfully all appear.
Let's merry be this holiday,
And let us run with sport and play,
Hang1 sorrow, let's cast care away
    God send us a merry new year!

...

And now let all the company
In friendly manner all agree,
For we are here welcome all may see
    Unto this jolly good cheer.
I thank the master and his dame,
The which are founders of the same,
To eat, to drink now is no shame:
    God send us a happy new year!

But somehow they skipped my favorite lines:

Come lads and lasses every one,
Jack, Tom, Dick, Bess, Mary and Joan,
Let's cut that meat unto the bone,
    For welcome you need not fear. 
And here for good liquor you shall not lack,
It will whet the brains and strengthen the back; 
This jolly good cheer it must go to wrack:
    God send us a happy new year!

Come, give's more liquor when I do call, 
I'll drink to each one in this hall,
I hope that so loud I must not bawl,
    So unto me lend an ear.
Good fortune to all do send,
And to our dame who is my friend,
Lord bless us all, and so I end:
    God send us a happy new year!
Amen!

It's early in the morning, and that of a new year: so let's have the Children's Meledy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, brother!

htom said...

Happy New Year, Grim, and all of the others here!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to our host and all who frequent or just pass through the Hall. May your 2012 be as lovely as Grim's lady, as generous as Grim, and as wise as the Company.

LittleRed1

douglas said...

May the New Year find you with good friends, good food and good fortune, all!

Texan99 said...

Happy New Year, my host and my brother, and to all of your guests.

bthun said...

A belated Happy New Year wish to you Grim, to your family, and to all the good folk who visit your Hall.

May 2012 be a peaceful and prosperous year for all.

My inner curmudgeon says if that does not pan out, may you all find, during those less than pleasant times, that you have the upper hand.