Steve Jobs, R.I.P.

The Wall Street Journal collected a number of Mr. Jobs's sayings over the last quarter of a century. Here are his thoughts in 1985 about the future role of the Internet:
The most compelling reason for most people to buy a computer for the home will be to link it to a nationwide communications network. We’re just in the beginning stages of what will be a truly remarkable breakthrough for most people––as remarkable as the telephone. [Playboy, Feb. 1, 1985]
Eleven years later, on the optimism that leads people to suspect a conspiracy:
When you’re young, you look at television and think, There’s a conspiracy. The networks have conspired to dumb us down. But when you get a little older, you realize that’s not true. The networks are in business to give people exactly what they want. That’s a far more depressing thought. Conspiracy is optimistic! You can shoot the bastards! We can have a revolution! But the networks are really in business to give people what they want. It’s the truth. [Wired, February 1996]
Six years ago, on death:
Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure — these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart. [Stanford commencement speech, June 2005]

You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.


Eric said...

Thanks for posting that.

rcl said...

Mark Levin announced Steve's passing on my way home from work. I looked up the Macintosh Intro video when I got home. I remember how stunning this demo was back in 1984. I feel such joy for him when I see it.

I owe my job to Steve in a way. I bought one of the first 512s and ran my millwork business with it. I was an Excel expert before Windows even existed. When W3.1 came out I was better at Windows and MS Office than any of the old PC hands because I'd been using Macs for years. So after 20 years in the field I traded in my 16 ibuprofen per day habit for a desk job.

Thanks Steve. You are one of a kind.