Request for Comments: Comments

The most important feature of this Hall is the community. For that reason, I'm interested in making sure that it is easy for you to comment, so that you will comment more often. I've heard from Mr. Hines that he's having some trouble with the Disqus business; and Elise didn't like it compared to Blogger's general comment system. In addition to that, it seems to be taking extra time to load the page, which is annoying for me. I had heard that Disqus could restore the old comments from Haloscan/Echo, but so far I haven't been able to get that to work. What do you think? Should we abandon the effort, and go to the Blogger comments on the ground that they are simpler and load faster? If I do that, would you prefer a pop-up comments window, or a Disqus-style?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been mucho occuppied with my horse and just saw the new layout. Wow. The print is almost too small to read for my eyes.

I do prefer the popup comments. It's a shame to lose the YouTube, link and image tools.

Call me paranoid but I don't like the trend to gather all personal history under one vast database. I won't join Facebook and I'm not comfortable with the growth of Disqus and Google. Datamining is becoming way too easy on all of us.

Ymar Sakar said...

The government isn't even trying to datamine. They haven't even completed any of the checklists I have in my mind to determine that they are actually now serious about datamining.

Obama has fulfilled one of the first check lists for a US Civil War however. And is getting ready to finish 2, 3, and 4.