Snake ID

Snake ID

Who's good at identifying snakes from descriptions? I didn't get a photo, unfortunately. This guy was fairly long, maybe 36 inches, not fat for his length, and not a pit viper. His head was slightly distinct from his body. His back bore a pattern of closely and regularly spaced solid small diamonds about 1/4-inch wide, and his sides bore a pattern of much larger hollow diamonds about an inch wide, more widely spaced. The entire effect was regular and geometrical rather than camouflage-splotchy. The background color was brownish, while the pattern spots were darker brown or black. His tail was smooth and pointy. He was sunning on the concrete, then slid off into dry brush (actually, my asparagus bed) when we encouraged him to move out of reach of the rambunctious dog.

I've looked at lots of pictures of Texas snakes, but I haven't found any with a pattern even remotely like this. (But since I couldn't find a similar picture, I decided to go with Snake Girl up there, because I think she's elegant.) Any ideas?

No comments: