How Dixie Are You?

How Dixie Are You?

Test time. My sister and I are 76% and 77% Dixie; my husband is 67%.

I don't think of myself as having a very strong Southern accent. I have cousins in South Carolina with the sound that Vivien Leigh probably thought she was achieving as Scarlett O'Hara. I have cousins in North Carolina who could pass for Jed Clampett. My own accent is sort of washed-out suburban TV, but my word usage is strictly Dixie. A Yankee colleague once was surprised to hear me say, "I'm not either," which seemed perfectly ordinary to me. He'd have said, "No, I'm not."

Some other Dixiefied locutions I never realized were so regional:

  • catty-corner
  • conniption fit, also, tizzy fit
  • coochie coo
  • everybody -- instead of everyone
  • gone -- He's gone and poured syrup all over his dinner!
  • pester
  • pistol -- that little William sure is a pistol!
  • ruckus -- last night I heard quite a ruckus in the parking lot
  • squall -- as in a baby crying at the top of his lungs gracious or gracious me
  • have to -- instead of must

No comments: