Traveling Vietnam Wall

Last weekend I attended a ceremony in Huntington, Long Island for the traveling Vietnam Wall exhibit that is stopping in two hundred cities across the country. Regrettably I did not have my embroidered Soldiers' Angels jean-jacket with me, as I did not know I would be attending until after I had left for my business trip to San Fran. I would have loved for all the Vietnam guys there to have seen a soldier-support group be present (though later in speeches someone recognized that today things are better for soldiers support-wise). The man who sang God Bless America was simply phenominal. Christopher Macchio belted out the song in a way that makes everyone a little misty-eyed.

I was extremely touched by the POW-MIA Remembrance Ceremony, which, if you have never witnessed or heard being read, take a look here.

What an occasion and an honor to be at this event. It was terrible weather, but we all gladly said the Pledge of Allegiance, paid our respects, learned a thing or two (at least I did), and properly recognized our Warriors and their tremendous sacrifice on our behalf.


The event was held at a park named for a NYC Firefighter who died on 9-11.










Someone with whom my Mom went to school (below), Edward L. La Barr, had died and is listed.


We checked her yearbook when we got home.


Here's how you find a name you are looking up (below).
I think this was the hardest moment for me, seeing this book.


Some people posted signs, left beer, or flowers...





John Corr was someone my aunt knew.





58,267

We Remember!

No comments: