Music That's in My Head Tonight

Music That's in My Head Tonight

Tonight was my church's annual amateur stage show. I sang a version of "Barbara Allen" that I can't find an example of on YouTube, though there must be a dozen other tunes represented. My version is one I learned from a Ewan MacColl recording. Since I couldn't find that, this is the incomparable Mr. MacColl doing "Press Gang":



I chose Barbara Allen because I could sing it alone and a cappella, since my neighbor who sometimes plays with me is out of town. If I'd been able, I'd have gotten together a group of two or three to sing something suitable for parts. I'm crazy about Voice Squad, with their three-part a cappella arrangements; here they are doing Robbie Burns's "Ae Fond Kiss." Oddly enough, they finish the song a little sharp rather than a little flat, the usual tendency.




And finally, here is the delightful closing duet from "Master and Commander" (La Musica Notturna delle Strade di Madrid No. 6 by Boccherini). A perfect way to end the film:

No comments: