Nubuck armor

I may turn this into an almost daily piece from The Met. Any objections? Or should I cool it already?



What do you suppose the little hook is for above? To hold the helmet in place?


I'm grouping these pieces together only because of the reconstructed look using the nubuck. Historians will recoil, I'm sure.



hehe -- lookin' a little Texas (above).

Getting down to brass tacks (above).



Here is a great link about the history of armor, its use, and various related links. You can search by time period and region. I highly recommend the informational links at The Met, as well as the artwork and artifacts.

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/aams/hd_aams.htm

Disclaimer to the Hall:
I am learning about this stuff as I go along; maybe in ten years you'll get an essay or two that wraps the pretty pictures and the historical aspect together. Since I grew up with the porcelain tea set and not the faux weapons, I'm not inclined to already know about this stuff. However, my best friend and I did always raid her brother's room, since his stuff was cooler. After all, we did not have "equipment" or "ammunition" and his endless array of neat things like little hard plastic backpacks (for when we were going on a mission) that could be packed with fake coiled ropes, "rations," and a spare rifle outshone our many plastic shoes, boas, and various outfits in which to change our dolls. Inevitably, he had to lower himself to dealing with us, and we'd make up one side and he the other. We'd always win.

No comments: