Beating in SF

Frisco Beatings:

Is the great surprise in this story is that anyone at Yale still sings "The Star Spangled Banner"? Even when I was in college in Georgia, I don't recall hearing it sung on campus, although I did have a history professor once perform "To Anacreon in Heaven."

To Anacreon in Heaven, where he sat in full glee,
A few sons of harmony sent a petition,
That he their inspirer and patron should be.
When this answer arrived from that jolly old Grecian:
Voice, fiddle and flute no longer be mute,
I’ll lend you my name and inspire you to boot,
And besides I’ll instruct you like me to entwine
The myrtle of Venus with Bacchus’ vine."
Alternatively, is the biggest surprise to see such a ringing endorsement of Mr. Hedge's thesis? I hadn't expected to read that the national anthem was being assaulted by alumni of the Sacred Heart Cathedral. Maybe this is more California secession talk? It seems to be an acting out of "the Battle Cry of Freedom"'s secessionist version:
Our Dixie forever, she's never at a loss!
Down with the eagle and up with the cross.
Amazing. "Christian fascist secessionists in California assault patriotic Ivy Leaguers." The world's gone mad, boys.

No comments: