Articles

More Good Reading:

Doc Russia gets angry at himself, and thereby proves he is a good man.

The Belmont Club asks a question about the 4ID and Turkey, and Chester responds. Wretchard also has some interesting speculation arising from recently translated documents.

Our friend Joel Leggett defends the Honky Tonk from the great state of Texas. He's got a great quote from The Alamo, in which John Wayne defines a Republic in terms -- partially -- of getting drunk or staying sober as you please. "For crying out loud, Texas is going to put a real crimp in one of country music’s favorite themes," he rightly complains.

Willie Nelson -- surely a warning against, as well as an advocate of, chemical overindulgence -- had with George Jones one of the great songs on the topic:

I gotta get drunk, I can't stay sober
There's a lot of good people in town
Like to see me holler, see me spend my dollar;
I wouldn't dream of lettin 'em down!
There's a lot of doctors keep tellin me, "George,
You'd better start slowing it down."
But there's more old drunks than there are old doctors
So I guess we'd better have another round.
Like Joel, I don't advocate getting drunk -- well, not often. Still, as Kim du Toit put it:
I want men everywhere to going back to being Real Men. To open doors for women, to drive fast cars, to smoke cigars after a meal, to get drunk occasionally and, in the words of Col. Jeff Cooper, one of the last of the Real Men: “to ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth.”
Just right.

No comments: